Featured post

Book Review - The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (movie tie-in)

Title: The Snowman (Harry Hole Book 7) Author: Jo Nesbo Edition: Movie Tie-in Rating: 5 stars  'The Snowman' was the book that ...

Monday 6 July 2015

Poem: I Am Me by Cal Turner

I wrote this poem when my daughter was a little girl. She's 23 now and is a full time wheelchair user, but at the time she walked with the aid of callipers (leg braces) and a walker. It used to frustrate me so much when people used to stop and stare at her. I couldn't understand why they couldn't see the beautiful, determined little girl I could see. I was (and still am) so proud of my daughter.

I Am Me

Why do you stop to look and stare
When you see me standing there
Why can't you see that I am too
Just another child like you

My legs are weak, my will is strong
All I want is to belong
Callipers help me stand up tall
Without them I know I should fall

I laugh, I talk, I walk, I cry
My steps are slow but I get by
Life is as full as it can be
I am glad that I am me

So when you stop to look and stare
Don't pity me, just treat me fair
For I am just a child like you
A little girl who loves life too

By Cal Turner

(copyright Cal Turner 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment