Featured post

Book Review - The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (movie tie-in)

Title: The Snowman (Harry Hole Book 7) Author: Jo Nesbo Edition: Movie Tie-in Rating: 5 stars  'The Snowman' was the book that ...

Thursday 23 July 2015

Book Review - My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

Title: My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry
Author: Fredrik Backman
Rating: 5 stars

Anything I can come up with to say in this review will not do this book justice. To say I loved it would be an understatement. 'My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry' by Fredrik Backman made me feel so many emotions I can't even begin to describe them. It's a book about Elsa, a seven year old girl who is different from most of those around her. It is also a book about her eccentric old granny and the magical fairy tales she shared with the granddaughter she adores. It's about family relationships and how each one is different but still as important in very unique ways. And superheroes. We should never forget the superheroes!

The book twists and turns and takes you places you never would have expected, with a cast of characters that are memorable and move you in so many different ways. It made me laugh out loud and it made me cry. Sometimes just gentle tears, but at others it made me cry so much it left me feeling emotionally drained. It is a story about love, loss, relationships and the fact that being different is something to embrace with every fibre of your being.

It resonated with me on a very personal level, as Elsa's relationship with her Granny made me think of the relationship I have with my own tiny grandchildren, and how being a grandparent can change and enrich your life more than you ever would have thought possible.

'My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry' is a beautifully written book that really does make you think. It tackles the subjects of love, loss and life in a heartbreakingly beautiful way, and shows how you can come to terms with the loss of a loved one without ever having to really say goodbye.

So in the immortal words of Elsa's Granny: "See you later!"

This is a book that will stay with me for a long time to come and is one that I highly recommend.

An indescribable 5 stars.

Thank you to Netgalley who gave me an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment